Hi Joel,

Although my application is deployed on the web it was written with the
goal of being redeployable as a desktop app, and to this end I have
been able to abstract away the web details so that I can code my
application very similarly to a desktop app.

The relevance here is that all database objects are pickled and
stashed in the session while the client interacts with it via AJAX
messages, upon which the server unpickles the object, updates it and
repickles it.  This works very well, even on large trees of objects
and relationships.  My next step here is to stash the draft objects
into the database rather than the session so that the user would be
able to work on a draft over a long period before committing the
changes.  SQLAlchemy's optimistic concurrency control is vital here.
I intend to open source my framework as soon as I have time to get it
into a packagable state, but I'd be happy to share, especially if
someone is able to work on a GUI shell.