I'm using an Oracle legacy database and can't add a primary key to a
table with none, so I am using ROWID as the primary key so sqlalchemy
has a unique id.

I'm also using (attempting to use) this table pornographically
(Concrete Table Inheritance).

The trouble I'm having is that Oracle complains about the UNION
because the "primary key" Unicode(255) is really a ROWID.

So, I have something like this:

SELECT * FROM
a.a_id,  /*really a ROWID */
UNION ALL
CAST(NULL AS VARCHAR(255)) as a_id,

Oracle is not happy because VARCHAR(255) isn't the same TYPE as
ROWID.

I was speculating I could solve this by using a User Defined Type.  Is
there a way I could accomplish either:
SELECT * FROM
CAST(a.a_id AS VARCHAR(255)) as a_id,  /*really a ROWID */
UNION ALL
CAST(NULL AS VARCHAR(255)) as a_id,

SELECT * FROM
a.a_id,  /*really a ROWID */
UNION ALL
CAST(NULL AS ROWID) as a_id,

Aside from this, I would want the User Data Type to act in all other
ways like Unicode.

Thank you very much in advance.