On Sep 10, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Kent Bower wrote:

> Actually, my coworker and I were discussing, if the foreign key is specified,
> whether transient, pending (with autoflush off), or persistent, you
> intuitively *expect* that referencing the attribute will load the persistent
> related object.

I am experimenting with this today and I do have a patch, that at least I am
almost OK with at least for 0.7, except that I actually found the original bug
invoked by loading on "pending" attributes, and it is certainly a surprise
behavior so I'm still trying to see what other method fixes it.      As the FAQ
has stated for a long time that "foreign key attributes don't do what you
want", the issue of what's "expected" is not what you'd "expect" even for
persistent objects, when you change foreign key attributes.

Transients can be made to load their attributes with this patch and it is not
default behavior.