On 9/21/2010 11:54 AM, Sven A. Schmidt wrote:
Michael,

I hope I'm not misunderstanding what your trying to achieve, but isn't
a combination of like and not like want you want to do here? As in:

create table test (
  t varchar2(255)
);

insert into test values ('AA123');
insert into test values ('A0123');

select * from test where t like 'A%' and t not like 'AA%';

Thanks, I hadn't thought of doing that. But I don't think it will work for my case because in addition to rejecting AA% it must also reject AB%, AC%, etc.

I wish LIKE had some way to distinguish letters and numbers.

Thanks,
Michael