I have a table described with:

BASE = declarative_base(name=APP_ID)

class Period(BASE):

    __tablename__ = 'period'

    realperiod = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    cycle = Column(Integer)
    [more columns]

 I want to delete all records with a given value for the "cycle" column. With
the SQLAlchemy session in the variable session and the desired cycle in y, I
execute

q = session.query(Period).filter(Period.cycle==y).delete()

This correctly deletes the desired rows and returns the number of rows deleted;
however, if I turn echo on I see the following SQL commands:

SELECT period.realperiod AS period_realperiod
FROM period
WHERE period.cycle = ?

DELETE FROM period WHERE period.cycle = ?

If I were doing this in SQL, I would to the first command as

SELECT count(*)
FROM period
WHERE period.cycle = ?

to get the count of rows to be deleted so I am wondering if I am doing things
correctly.

Thanks,
Mark