pool recycle means a connnection that is 3600 seconds old will be thrown away.
 does not help with reconnects.

When a "server gone away" error is detected, the entire connection pool is
thrown away and rebuilt.  So assuming one engine, you'd get this error once for
each connection that is still checked out and attempts a new operation.
Subsequent transactions will proceed since the pool has been rebuilt.

There was also a Mysql-reconnect bug fixed in 0.6.3 where previous versions
might have impacted this.