On Nov 6, 2010, at 1:32 AM, pianoman wrote:

> Hi
>
> I feel I have exhausted all the usual options in finding a solution
> for this problem.
>
> I'm using Python 2.5.5, SQLAlchemy 0.4.6, and Elixir 0.5.2. I'm really
> not sure how much code I should include for this to make any sense to
> others.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The actual traceback is as follows:
>
> ERROR: An unexpected error occurred while tokenizing input
> The following traceback may be corrupted or invalid
> The error message is: ('EOF in multi-line statement', (30, 0))
> AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call
> last)
>
> C:\Users\User\My iFolder\My Development\Python\TurboGears\DMS-Test
> \dmstest\model.py in <module>()
> ----> 1
>      2
>      3
>      4
>      5
>
> C:\Users\User\My iFolder\My Development\Python\TurboGears\DMS-Test
> \dmstest\model.py in register(cls, person, ref, versio
> n, file_name, reg_date, write)
>    564                     names.append(record['author-%s' % a])
>    565                 else:
> --> 566                     doc.authors.append(author)
>    567                 a += 1
>    568
>
> c:\VirtualEnvs\tg1env\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-0.4.6-py2.5.egg
> \sqlalchemy\orm\collections.pyc in append(self, item,
> _sa_initiator)
>    919                 if executor:
>    920
> executor.attr.fire_append_event(executor.owner_state,
> --> 921                                                     item,
> _sa_initiator)
>    922             fn(self, item)
>    923         _tidy(append)
>
> c:\VirtualEnvs\tg1env\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy-0.4.6-py2.5.egg
> \sqlalchemy\orm\attributes.pyc in fire_append_event(se
> lf, state, value, initiator)
>    509
>    510         if self.trackparent and value is not None:
> --> 511             self.sethasparent(value._state, True)
>    512         instance = state.obj()
>    513         for ext in self.extensions:
>
> AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute '_state'

the kind of thing that would do this is:

someobject.some_scalar_attribute = [<some list>]

or:

someobject.some_related_list.append([<some list>])

So your stack trace above would suggest that "author" is a Python list when it
should be a scalar element.    Using pdb would help you to drop into a console
at the point the error occurs in which you can inspect "author" as well as
travel up the stack to see where it came from.