Thanks for your answer first.

Root is a singleton, its class is not mapped to a table.

What I mean is I could add a table "roots" to the database with a
sigle row and add areas a foreign key "root_id" and create a
relationship as from subareas with parent area and get what I'm
talking about.

This relationship, between root and area, as long as areas and
subareas would come in handy for example to traverse the tree for
extracting an xml simply, or to make recursive calculations.

Before sqlalchemy I was used to add all areas, subareas, items, parent
attributes to classes by myself but now I'm in the situation that 80%
of the work is done by sqlalchemy automatically and I'm not sure how
to fill the remaining, possibly having both areas and subareas behave
at the same way to avoid confusion (just as an example, lazy loading).

Thanks for your support
neurino