On Nov 22, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Am Montag, den 22.11.2010, 11:18 -0500 schrieb Michael Bayer:
>>> Originally I added only 2 fields and 4 methods to the Session but it
>>> seems like this will grow a bit. Is it okay to add a whole bunch of
>>> methods to my Session class? Any hints how to avoid name clashes for
>>> future SQLAlchemy versions?
>>
>> yeah there's no magic bullet here, you can add as many methods as you like
>> and each one raises the chance of a future collision by a tiny amount.  We
>> don't add too many methods to Session so its not terribly dangerous, but you
>> could consider building a Session facade of your own which delegates to the
>> "real" Session internally.  If I were really adding a comprehensive
>> business-centric persistence layer I'd almost certainly do that.
>
> I originally had such a facade, but I dumped it because I did not want
> to reimplement the scoped session adapter. Any hints how to get the best
> of both worlds? ;-)

you should be able to feed other kinds of session-like objects into
scoped_session().   Look at its source, it doesn't do much.   Ignore everything
it says about "extensions" too, that's all going away.  You could reuse and
extend its approach using the instrument() function to add your own accessors
to it.