I remain a little nervous about the C extensions, not as much because the
current code is unreliable, but because I'd like there to be a whole lot more C
code here.   I've used the existing C extensions quite a bit and done tons of
profiling - they really don't account for the vast majority of time spent in
large ORM operations, and they don't do much for a non-ORM app that emits a lot
of statements.  They just cut down on an app that is non-ORM and needs to fetch
very large result sets.

Basically I'd need a resource that can do lots more C code for me, if not
myself since it just would take a huge block of extra time for me to get into
it, before I'd feel good about the C code overall and confident that I can put
out releases in a timely manner which would now require 100% reliable C code.

The limitations of distutils are also troubling here.   In my own work app, we
use pip in conjunction with a Makefile and for the SQLAlchemy install the flag
is on in the Makefile.   In that regard the flag being off by default doesn't
feel like that big a deal to me personally.