pyodbc works very well, as does mxodbc which is commercial.   Most issues have
to do with using ODBC from unix, where if we're working for free we use
FreeTDS, that has a lot of quirks.  There are commercial ODBC drivers for unix
which I haven't used but we will be using them soon for a commercial project.
When writing an ODBC dialect for SQLAlchemy you extend
sqlalchemy.connectors.pyodbc.PyODBCConnector (or MxODBCConnector) for your
dialect, you can look at the several pyodbc clients we have already (mssql,
mysql, sybase) for examples.

The other advantage/disadvantage of ODBC is the usage of datasources.   This is
basically an extra layer of indirection between connect strings and an actual
TCP hostname.  Some setups allow the bypassing of the DSN and a lot of
confusion comes from whether or not that is in use, since a lot of homegrowers
impatiently try to skip that layer and get all confused.   Its best to use
externally configured DSNs when working with ODBC since that's how it was
designed to be used.