On Jan 22, 7:01 pm, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
> Assuming the above raises its error just fine as it does on my system, there
> must be some unusual pattern in the way the error is being generated.    I
> don't know that there's anything on the  SQLAlchemy side that can address
> this kind of thing in a consistent way, usually the strategy is to narrow
> down the series of DBAPI calls to a pure MySQL-python script that continues
> to reproduce.   Its tricky though.

I see... I did a few more tests, and it looks like the problem arises
consistently when executing multiple statements having a syntax error
in the second (or later) one..

Extending your example:

from sqlalchemy import *
e = create_engine('mysql://scott:tiger@localhost/test', echo=True)
e.execute("select * from validtable; this is crap")

This returns a ResultProxy, but on the NEXT execution (even if a
correct one) SQLAlchemy logs a

INFO sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine.0x...4acL ()
Exception _mysql_exceptions.ProgrammingError: (1064, "You have an
error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your
MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'this is crap'
at line 1") in <bound method Cursor.__del__ of <MySQLdb.cursors.Cursor
object at 0xb743238c>> ignored

Maybe I could persuade SA-migrate to execute one statement at a
time...
Thanks for your assistance :)