For whatever reason I couldn't use compiler.is_subquery():
return len(self.stack) > 1

I guess from this context I need: len(self.stack) > 0

Not sure why, except that I'm "one stack level" off when the @compiles
function is invoked to be able to use compiler.is_subquery().

@compiles(Select)
def compile_forupdateof(select, compiler, **kw):
    rendered = compiler.visit_select(select, **kw)
    if not compiler.stack and hasattr(select, '_for_update_of'):
        mapper = class_mapper(select._for_update_of)
        name = mapper.mapped_table.name
        if compiler.dialect.name == 'oracle':
            # Oracle makes us specify the column name (for views, I
guess, since it locks entire row)
            name += '.' + mapper.primary_key[0].name
        rendered = "%s FOR UPDATE OF %s" % (rendered, name)
    return rendered