Polymorphic associations pop up a lot around here, don't they!  I
suppose it's partly because they would be so much more difficult to
handle, or even come close to handling, conveniently, with most other
ORM packages.

Martijn, after running into the wall on polymorphic associations
approximately once a year since Michael wrote that blog article, I
finally got it all straight in my mind, and I realized there are two
fundamental tricks to seeing the PA phenomenon clearly.  One is learn
to sense when it's around; it's almost like a certain smell in your
code.  There is a particular feeling that distinguishes it from other
data modeling problems.  Two, when you notice a polymorphic
association pattern beginning to appear, attempt to think about the
relations involved in the exact reverse direction.  This sounds too
trivial to be a real piece of advice, but it works every time for me.
Each time I perceive a problem with a polymorphic association but then
I reverse my perspective, the perceived problem vanishes.

I could probably do just as well by binding a rug around my head or
something, but that's just me.  And I'm not going to find out.

- Eric