we've put tickets on their tracker to this effect, that they should be more
liberal about considering when "the transaction" begins.

http://code.google.com/p/pysqlite/issues/detail?id=21

pysqlite is tricky since I dont know if the Python.org tracker or the
code.google.com tracker is more appropriate.     In any case it doesn't seem
like a lot is being done.