We're still using 0.4.8 in a shipping desktop application and are suffering
performance issues. I'm new to the project and python in general, and are
moving away from it slowly, although we're going to be keeping our model
implemented in python and therefore the ORM will probably stay too. Thus is
it worth migrating to .5 and then onto .6. Should I expect any performance
boosts? I guess if we're going to be staying with the ORM then it should be
done to avoid getting left further behind.

Does anyone have any tips on how to profile alchemy and python in general?
I've had some small success with DTrace and ustack from Sun. I haven't tried
the python profilers yet although it's not straightforward as we are using
the PyObjC bridge.