this has to do with how the Session is configured and if its linked to an
engine.

Curious, the "upgrade" happening here is strictly because a newer version of
Debian has a different version of SQLAlchemy ?    It would be really, really
preferable if you could run the specific version of SQLAlchemy the app was
written against, we change the API with each 0.x version.    This does however
mean you'd need to install SQLAlchemy using standard Python setuptools
methodologies and not via a deb package.    The effort you're making here would
be towards porting the app to 0.5.8 based on your trace below...we're already
up to 0.7.   With a straight install, it only means SQLAlchemy would be
installed under "site-packages" instead of "dist-packages".