Hi Michael,
thanks for your reply. I did get it working with the @property/hybrid_property, but it turns out what I really needed was a custom collection class. At least, that seems to be working in a cleaner fashion.

I'm still fumbling around in the dark a little bit, so we'll see how it goes. SQL Alchemy keeps surprising me with features, it's very cool.

Cheers,
 James.

Assuming you don't need that (class level behavior), you don't really need
@hybrid_property either.   You can just use Python's standard @property.

If you *did* want that, it would be a little tricky, probably would need a
custom comparator.