I cannot locate the rationale for this despite a dim memory that there was one,
so this is a bug with ticket 2248 created at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/2248 , with a restorative patch attached.
 If someone can provide tests for the attached patch using a custom comparator
and there's no issue (I'm assuming you might have one) the feature can be
re-implemented.