I confirm successful build and run time on both 64-bit and 32-bit
Linux (RHEL5) againt SQL Server 2008.

It has turned out that Pyodbc needed the CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH set to
where my version of UnixODBC was prefixed to prior to building. Best
bet is to remove all prior versions including distro packaged. If you
don't the Pyodbc may pickup header sources from there. By the way
their setup.py seems to have issues and can leave behind certain files
despite "clean" command. Also mind any leftovers in site-packages.

Playing with compiler settings for the unixODBC, namely various
combinations of the CPPFLAGS="-DBUILD_LEGACY_64_BIT_MODE -
DSIZEOF_LONG_INT=8" allowed me to align the libs to the Pyodbc such
that the segfault got eliminated but in the end the flags proved
unneccesary once the above mentioned include path was properly set.