Hi Mike,

It is an edge case for sure. I'm using SA with eventlet so the session is
going out of scope in a green thread. Eventlet does some monkeying
(literally) around with threadlocals so I get a different session for each
one. However in this case the parent instance to which I'm adding obj was
fetched in a one greenthread and the child is added in another after a timer
has fired off (the child is a record of the timer running). It's definitely
fair to say that I'm not using SA in an optimal way, however I'd still be
inclined to say that the patch could be worthwhile here.

I should also have mentioned that the original session would have been from
a query_property rather than an explicitly created Session().

Is there any particular reason that you added the check where you did in the
patch as opposed to the except KeyError clause in _state_session?

Cheers,
Ben