I've recently moved from SQLite to MySQL as the underlying database for my
application. The move is causing me various problems, principally around
Unicode. I *think* they were not occurring when SQLite was there, so I
thought I would ask if anybody on the list has had similar problems.

My current difficultly is that when saving content (Chinese, generally) to
the database, I get the dreaded:

*** UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position
0-4: ordinal not in range(128)

error and a rollback.

I have checked that:

- the MySQL table has a suitable encoding (CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci;)
- the MySQL connection string has the charset on the end (?charset=utf8)
- The type for the relevant Column is Unicode (this worked previously with
just string, but I have changed it anyway just in case)
- The content is unicode at the point it gets sent to the the database
(again, this was a plain string previously but seemed to work)

However, on save I get the above error from SQLAlchemy. What do I need to be
doing to get the content in the right format to send through?

Thanks,
Ben