we have a ticket from a ways back referring to the task of getting this to work
on GAE:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/1958

I was having some communication with Wesley Chun at the time but somehow the
task fell by the wayside.

However, the good news is that we're in very good shape to support their
backend, which is a MySQL derivation.    Depending on the specifics of their
implementation we may be able to re-use sqlalchemy.connectors.mysqldb or
similar - in any case it would likely be based on mysql.dialects.mysql and not
require very much code at all.    It's just a matter of someone getting a basic
"hello world" test running on GAE to get started.    I'm just not sure how one
runs unit tests on GAE.