Looks like something related to deserializing without mappers set up, or
deserializing into an environment where the class structure and/or mappers are
not configured the same way.  This is usually not the way that manifests
itself, though.   The key would be the change that started causing the issue.
 If you want to pdb into the mechanics of _new_state_if_none it might become
apparent what the mismatch is - I can't do much without being shown how to
reproduce it exactly.

Any more specifics/details/reproducing cases here would shed more light.