I am developing a REST web service with a Parent, Child many-to-many
relationship.

If I have an existing Parent with a relationship collection of Child
objects and as an example:

Existing Parent 1 has children associations Child 1 (id=1), Child
2(id=2)

And I receive an Update call to the web service for Parent 1 to set
the children to [2,3] that is it should now only have Child 2 and
Child 3 and the existing relation to Child 1 should be removed.

What is the best practice for doing that.  Currently I can picture:

1. Load Parent 1
2. Loop over p1.children and find all existing children ids that are
not in the new [2,3] collection and issue a
p1.children.remove(existing_child)
3. then loop over the new id array and for each one in here that is
not in the existing child collection load that child object (C3 in
this case) from the db and do p1.children.add(C3)

Is there any api that can shorten this procedure?