On Dec 16, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Vlad K. wrote:

> So basically, if I'm understanding the docs correctly, and what you just
> wrote:
>
> Using the session object does not mean using the ORM.

more or less....though if I wrote a program that had no ORM usage whatsoever
I'm not sure I'd have Session in it.   But I could.

> The ORM comes in play with Mapper and Mapped instances, which in turn require
> a primary key defined. So, I can use session.execute() to do non-ORM
> querying? And ResultProxy to work with returned data?

yeah execute() goes right to connection.execute and connection() will give you
the same kind of Connection you get from an Engine.

> How would I autocreate the tables if I don't use Mapping, with DDL events and
> pure SQL?

tables are generated using create_all() on MetaData you can pass the connection
in:  metadata.create_all(session.connection())

The tables/DDL/pure SQL represent structures within a database.    To actually
transmit these constructs as instructions to a DB you just need a data pipe
(which in reality is some system that goes over TCP/IP to your database
server).   Session is essentially a pipe around the Connection, which is the
most "direct" pipe in SQLAlchemy to the database.