On Dec 17, 2011, at 2:59 PM, rivka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building a database on my macbook air computer using python 2.7
> and sqlalchemy 0.73.The database has main items which are linked
> through relationship to multiple other tables with relevant data for
> the item. I am in the process of data entry - and adding data to each
> of the tables takes about 0.000176 of a sec - so - for all the simple
> fields it takes about 0.015471sec per item. The biggest problem is
> adding a list of citations for each item - since the citations are
> self referential - hence I need to append them to both the citing and
> cited items.
> Adding each citation takes on the average 0.1615 of a sec ! that is
> 1000x LONGER than each of the other item fields! While adding a
> citation involves calling up another item from the database - still -
> this looks excruciatingly slow and is an absolute show stopper for me
> (data entry will take months!). So - I need to find out what I am
> doing wrong (and I am sure that this is the case).
>
> =============
> The access to the item: p1 = q_pat.get(n) takes around 0.3-0.5 of a
> second - and that is an absolute killer. Why is it so slow and how do
> I accelerate it?

First off, congratulations for deciding to enter the world of Python profiling
- it's something we all have to do, quite often.    I'll point you to a SO post
I wrote which pretty comprehensively covers both Python-agnostic as well as
SQLAlchemy specific techniques:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1171166/how-can-i-profile-a-sqlalchemy-powered-application/1175677#1175677

I haven't looked closely at your example but if your profiling leads to areas
within SQLAlchemy's mechanisms that need explanation, feel free to check back
here for specifics!