On Dec 28, 2011, at 9:18 AM, Kent wrote:

> Off topic, but from a shell prompt I sometimes find myself naturally
> attempting this:
> session.detach(instance)
>
> and then when that fails, I remember:
> session.expunge(instance)
>
> I'm not asking for a change here, but quite curious: you think 'detach' is a
> better/more natural term?

I'll agree I hate the term "expunge()".   "evict()" is often what I think of.
detach(), also nice.    consider that it's the opposite of add().
unfortunately remove() is already taken.

i guess the patch is interacting with that "load_on_pending" stuff, which I
probably added for you also.  It would be nice to really work up a "new
SQLAlchemy feature: detached/transient object loading" document that really
describes what it is we're trying to do here.    If you were to write such a
document, what example would you give as the rationale ?    I know that's the
hard part here, but this is often very valuable, to look at your internal
system and genericize it into something universally desirable.    It would make
it clearer what we'd do with the flush() issue from yesterday too.