I need to implement a simple accounting subsytem that will record all
the transactions for future auditing. This uses two tables:
'transactions' and 'entries'. Transaction->Entry is a parent->child
relationship. My customer has two requeriments : All the
records(entries/transaction) must be inserted in one database
transaction and he wants ensurance that no gaps will ever appear on
the ids generated by these two tables

 For the first  requeriment(everything on one database transaction), I
must insert to the 'transactions' table, get the generated id and use
that as input for the 'inserts' in the 'entries' table, but everything
must be in one transaction, so I can't invoke 'commit' after inserting
to 'transactions' to get its generated id.

 For the second requeriment(ensure that no gaps will happen in the
generated ids), I'm not sure its possible to acomplish, since  if
something fails  after the id for 'transaction' is generated, even
though that transaction will not be commited, that id will be lost,
thus creating a gap.

 I appreciate insights on how to solve either of these problems.
Thanks in advance.

 Thiago.