On Jan 17, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Mason wrote:

> This is great!!  Wasn't aware of this at all.  Is the <something that
> does utc> part db dependent?  I am only familiar with mysql, so if I
> change to other db in the future, and the <convert to utc> function is
> called 'convert_to_tz' instead of 'convert_tz', will this break?  I
> know I can access the named tuple using the following before.
>
> for r in rows
>  print r.event_ts

The more involved time functions like TZ conversion and date arithmetic are
database dependent.    When you need to do things with dates in a
platform-agnostic way, usually using the @compiles system to construct the set
of functions that you need is the most direct route.    In fact there's an
example regarding UTC right here:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/core/compiler.html#utc-timestamp-function

> Now with the func.convert_tz(), can I use something like
> func.convert_tz() AS ts, so I can reference it with r.ts?

func. returns a column expression just like a column itself, all of which have
label(), so func.convert_tz(mycolumn, ..., ..).label('ts')