I too encountered the same problem that wasted me days, until I caught
"pdtb_sqla_queries" with my very limited memory profiling skill.

I have actually filed a bug here:

https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid_debugtoolbar/issues/51

and there is a separate issue to make it less "leaky":

https://github.com/Pylons/pyramid_debugtoolbar/issues/52