Hello lists -

As some of you know, I've been promising an update to the Beaker caching system
for some months now, building on a pair of libraries dogpile and dogpile.cache
(see the original blog post at
http://techspot.zzzeek.org/2011/10/01/thoughts-on-beaker/ for background).
Following the effort that started at about that time, I'm pleased to announce
the initial alpha release of dogpile.cache now available from Pypi.

dogpile.cache builds on the "dogpile" locking system, which implements the idea
of "allow one creator to write while others read" in the abstract. Overall,
dogpile.cache is intended as a replacement to the Beaker caching system, the
internals of which are written by the same author. All the ideas of Beaker
which "work" are re-implemented in dogpile.cache in a more efficient and
succinct manner, and all the cruft (Beaker's internals were first written in
2005) relegated to the trash heap.

Key, nifty features of dogpile.cache include a really straightforward API,
significant performance improvements over Beaker, a pluggable, key-distributed
locking system, including a memcached-based lock out of the box, and
registration of new and/or modified cache backends as a daily matter of
routine, directly or via setuptools entrypoints.

There's a decent README up now at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dogpile.cache and
you can read all the docs at http://dogpilecache.readthedocs.org/.   I'm hoping
to get some testers and initial feedback.