the ORM needs to compare in order to determine changes, and in general you
should only be dealing with timezone-naive datetimes within a Python
application, I'd suggest ensuring they are all in UTC in fact.   It's no
different IMHO from converting encoded strings to unicode first so that
all values are normalized into a common format.