I'd like to represent a Correspondent object, which can refer to two
separate objects

Corr_1
- id
- email_address

Corr_2
- id
- email_address

Correspondent
- id
- corr_1.id
- corr_2.id

But I have two problems:
I'm using MySQL, so I can't use a check constraint to ensure that only one
of the corr_*.id fields can be populated. Is it it a bad idea to enforce
the constraint at the SQLAlchemy level, by doing
if all(corr1.id, corr2.id) or not any(corr_1.id, corr2.id):
    raise …
in my __init__?

My second problem relates to then being able to retrieve the related
.email_address attribute. My naïve relationship above obviously won't work
for that. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

--
steph