> To be fair, it is correct in terms of doing what you asked, though if
> you want it to include NULLs I agree it doesn't do what you want...

You're absolutely correct.  Poorly worded on my part.  I meant to
convey that it's not the correct statement for me to call ; it is
indeed the correct sql for that statement.  "!=" and "is not" are
completely different comparisons.

I just spent 4 hours digging through sqlalchemy docs and code to try
and figure out how to get this to work on columns.  is & isnot should
really be column operators.  there's also no "UNKNOWN" value/keyword
in sqlalchemy -- which is a concept that is in postgresql and might
have helped me in my wild chase.

Anyways, Thanks a ton!

filter(tablename.is_deleted.op("IS NOT")(True)) works perfectly ,
crisis averted!

Your coalesce idea is a good one.  I feel a little bit better using
the .op() method though - this query is already kind of complex and
slow.  adding a handful of coalesce statements instead of using a
native comparison is not a road i want to explore right now.