You've mentioned multiple times (to me and others) that some operations,
such as reaching across relationships or loading relationships from within
a before_update Mapper event is not safe.

   - I understand this is safe from within Session event before_flush(),
   correct?
   - We mentioned at some point adding a Mapper level "before_flush()"
   event.  To avoid duplicate work, has that been done?

   - I presume that other queries, particularly those with
   populate_existing() are also unsafe from within before_update?  Are such
   safe from before_flush()?