We were using SQLAlchemy 0.5.1 and wanted to upgrade to 0.7.8 but ran into
the following problem.
When trying to create an engine, the mysql dialect tries to determine the
current isolation level by issuing the SELECT @@tx_isolation; SQL statement
(from dialects/mysql/base.py get_isolation_level()). However, this
statement is not supported on MySQL 3.23 and therefore SQLAlchemy 0.7.8
doesn't seem to work anymore.

We worked around this by not using SQLAlchemy anymore for our antique MySQL
3.23 db, but this means you could also delete 3.23 from the supported
database list. As a solution you could maybe add a try/except clause around
it with a version check just like you do in do_commit() in
dialects/mysql/base.py

Best regards,
Ids