Sorry to ressurrect this thread but the problem is still there. Since
SQLAlchemy knows the encoding used to communicate with the database, it can
properly decode the error strings returned by the database to unicode. So,
I think it should be SQLAlchemy's responsibility to convert the error
strings to unicode, not the user's responsibility. Could we open a bug for
that in the tracker?

Sylvain