Again, thanks for the detailed response! I went with the
psycopg2.extras.register_uuid() method and that works without problems
for now.
I did have to remove the as_uuid=True since psycopg2 already returned
it as an uuid type.

For future references the working test code is here
https://gist.github.com/4433940

Thanks again,
Michael

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I'd rather not make a workaround of this degree a default behavior of the
> SQLAlchemy dialect.
>
> In this case, the _PGArray type needs to be totally subverted to intercept
> psycopg's non-handling of the data:
>
> from sqlalchemy.dialects.postgresql import psycopg2
>
> class UuidArrayFixer(psycopg2._PGArray):
>     def result_processor(self, dialect, coltype):
>         def fix(value):
>             return [
>                 uuid.UUID(val)
>                 for val in re.findall(r'[a-f0-9\-]+', value)
>             ]
>         return fix
>
> class UUID_ARRAY(TypeDecorator):
>     impl = UuidArrayFixer(UUID(as_uuid=True), dimensions=1)
>
>     def bind_expression(self, bindvalue):
>         val = bindvalue.value
>         if val is None:
>             val = []
>         return array(
>             cast(literal(str(uuid_val)), UUID())
>             for uuid_val in val
>         )
>

> On Jan 2, 2013, at 12:55 PM, Michael van Tellingen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the detailed response! Inserting the values seems to work
>> fine now. Only retrieving them again doesn't work.
>> I've updated the gist at https://gist.github.com/4433940
>>
>> The problem seems that psycopg2 now returns the array as a string
>> ({uuid1, uuid2}) and sqlalchemy iterates over the string instead of
>> the containing elements.
>> Bug in sqlalchemy or am i'm doing something stupid? :-)
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>
>> wrote:
>>> OK well there's a lot of unfortunate turns on this one, at the core is that
>>> psycopg2 by default doesn't know how to accept a list of UUIDs.    The
>>> postgresql.UUID() type in SQLAlchemy takes the easy approach and just
>>> converts the value to a string, provided you pass the as_uuid=True flag to
>>> it.    That works for scalar UUID columns in Postgresql, however if we're
>>> dealing with an array, then more casting is required as the data is passed
>>> to the DB.      Creating type processors on the psycopg2 side would be one
>>> way to do this, though we can also do it on the SQLAlchemy side.
>>>
>>> Compounding issues here is that the array() construct in 0.8 has a tiny bug,
>>> that's the "self_group()" error you got, but if we make that work, we still
>>> have to cast each individual uuid() value inside the array which is the part
>>> PG isn't doing here.
>>>
>>> If we fix the ARRAY.self_group() method, this approach works:
>>>
>>>    def cast_uuid(value):
>>>        return cast(literal(uuid.uuid4(), UUID(as_uuid=True)), UUID)
>>>
>>>    stmt = table.insert().values(
>>>        timestamp=datetime.datetime.utcnow(),
>>>        guids=array([cast_uuid(uuid.uuid4()), cast_uuid(uuid.uuid4())])
>>>    )
>>>

>>> you get a statement like this:
>>>
>>> INSERT INTO example (timestamp, guids) VALUES (%(timestamp)s,
>>> ARRAY[CAST(%(param_1)s AS UUID), CAST(%(param_2)s AS UUID)])
>>> 2013-01-02 11:07:47,850 INFO sqlalchemy.engine.base.Engine {'timestamp':