Felix,

Another technique I have used, in case you are not aware of it:

I add this:

    import traceback
    util.warn(str(traceback.format_stack()))

to whichever sqlalchemy .py file is producing the error, right at the point
where the error is emitted.  Then whenever it happens, you get a full stack
trace in the log.  From here you can usually find out where in you app the
non-unicode string is coming from.

--bill

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:37 AM, Felix Schwarz <felix.schw...@oss.schwarz.eu