On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Lorenzo Bolla <lbo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to do the same from Python, using SQLAlchemy's func construct, but it
> seems thatfunc does not honor named parameters:
>
> In [85]: print(sqlalchemy.func.test_f('a', 'b'))
> test_f(:test_f_1, :test_f_2)
>
> In [86]: print(sqlalchemy.func.test_f('a'))
> test_f(:test_f_1)
>
> In [87]: print(sqlalchemy.func.test_f(a='a'))
> test_f()
> Am I missing something, or func does not support named parameters?

it does not at the moment, PG's "named" parameter feature is pretty unusual and
not something I've seen on any other database.   It's a feature that could be
added, or certainly you could write a custom SQL construct for now that does it
as well, see http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_8/core/compiler.html