Hi all,

I'm new to SQLAlchemy, and looking for some advice on how to approach
working with an existing database. The database will not be managed by
Python, and I will need to maintain whatever library I write to keep up
with the occasional schema change. I am looking to write a more-or-less
definitive database access layer for myself and others to use if and when
we write applications in Python -- the company is not primarily a Python
shop.

What's my best approach for building this library? Should I use
Declarative, or should I use classical mapping -- which would be better,
easier to maintain, easier for others to use? Should I be writing out the
classes, or should I rely on reflection? Speaking of reflection, I've been
using it to analyze what SQLAlchemy thinks of the schema. For a given table
created by reflection, I'm seeing _autoincrement_column, columns,
foreign_keys, indexes, and primary_key -- are there other table attributes
I should be inspecting?

Thanks for your advice!

---Peter