Here is a test. It's possible the failure is because the provided example
uses a mixin, while i am declaring directly on the base class.

from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.ext.declarative import (declarative_base,
    declared_attr, has_inherited_table)

Base = declarative_base()

class Test(Base):
    __tablename__ = 'test'
    id = Column(Integer, primary_key=True)
    type = Column(String(20))

    @declared_attr
    def __mapper_args__(cls):
        if not has_inherited_table(cls):
            ret =  {
                'polymorphic_identity': 'default',
                'polymorphic_on': cls.type,
                }
        else:
            ret = {'polymorphic_identity': cls.__name__}
        print '%s.__mapper_args__:' % cls
        print ret
        return ret

class PolyTest(Test):
    __tablename__ = 'poly_test'
    id = Column(Integer, ForeignKey(Test.id), primary_key=True)

Running this under 0.7.9 produces:

<class '__main__.Test'>.__mapper_args__:
{'polymorphic_identity': 'default', 'polymorphic_on': Column(None,
String(length=20), table=None)}
<class '__main__.Test'>.__mapper_args__:
{'polymorphic_identity': 'default', 'polymorphic_on': Column(None,
String(length=20), table=None)}
<class '__main__.PolyTest'>.__mapper_args__:
{'polymorphic_identity': 'PolyTest'}

Running under 0.8.0 produces:

<class '__main__.Test'>.__mapper_args__:
{'polymorphic_identity': 'Test'}
<class '__main__.PolyTest'>.__mapper_args__:
{'polymorphic_identity': 'PolyTest'}

in 7.9, the polymorphic_on was set correctly, in 8.0 the table already
exists when the mapper_args are processed (because it's a lambda now), so
has_inherited_table returns True. Is it intended behavior to have
has_inherited_table return true when the only "inherited" table is that on
the class itself? I am working around this by using my own
has_inherited_table method, which first checks if the base is equal to the
active class, and skipping it if they're the same. It seems this should be
default behavior, unless i am misunderstanding what 'inherited' is
representing here.

Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do without setting up my
own has_inherited_table function?