Hi,

In Cubes I would like to optionally use the upcoming CREATE MATERIALIZED
VIEW [1] feature in Postgres 9.3 (or any other database that supports
it). There will be plain alternative "CREATE TABLE" for Postgres < 9.3.

[1]
http://michael.otacoo.com/postgresql-2/postgres-9-3-feature-highlight-materialized-views/

Is there some "correct" way how I can determine version of the server or at
least some list of properties from which I can determine existence of such
functionality?

What might be the downsides of using ProgrammingError exception handling?

try:
    CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW AS SELECT ...
except ProgrammingError:
    CREATE TABLE AS SELECT ...

Are there any other options that would not require additional configuration
variable on user's side?

Regards,

Stefan