Hi all,

I generate webpages in which end-users can input data that is stored in a
database via sqla.The datamodel is not pre-defined but created by (other)
users/designers.

My question is how can i best let the end-user know which field contains
the error if the end-user violates a unique constraint; e.g. if the user
creates an account by filling in a username/password, the username must be
unique so the user must get an error ("username already exists" oss) if he
tries to fill in an existing username.

If i commit the data, the exception thrown is somewhat cryptic (is the
message created by sqla or the database?).

Some related questions:

- are there arguments in the exception i could use?
- should i just query the table for the existence of the unique constrained
value (i seem to remember that is impossible in the "validate" solution, so
how else)?

I might be able to come up with some sort of solution, but i am looking for
a good/the best (structurally sound, not too slow, not overly complex)
solution, also useable for other constraints (e.g. non-null, maybe other
query/multi-record based constraints).

Cheers, Lars