For the record and for other people running into the same problem, here's a
workaround that kills the cast by wrapping the column in a function that
does nothing:

session.query(extract('epoch', func.timestamptz(database.TestTable.ts)))

This of course will only work until sqlalchemy learns about all the builtin
casts, but for now it's fine.

Have a nice day,

<snip>