On Jun 4, 2013, at 1:55 AM, Amir Elaguizy <aelag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a tree that looks like this, reflected via polymorphic inheritance:

what do we mean "reflected" here, are you reflecting tables from the database,
that is,
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/rel_0_8/core/schema.html#metadata-reflection ?

> That works great, like:
>

> class BaseModel(db.Model):     # Table A in diagram
>     __tablename__ = "entities"
>
>     id = db.Column(db.BigInteger, primary_key=True, nullable=False,
> server_default=func.nextval('guid_seq'))
>     type_id = db.Column(db.SmallInteger, db.ForeignKey(EntityTypesModel.id))
>
>     __mapper_args__ = {
>         'polymorphic_identity':'entity',
>         'polymorphic_on':type_id,
>         'with_polymorphic':'*'
>     }

this is why I question the word "reflected" because I don't see you using
reflection there.

> class BrandModel(BaseModel):   # Table B, C, D in diagram
>     __tablename__ = 'brands'
>
>     id = db.Column(db.BigInteger, db.ForeignKey(StufffModel.id),
> primary_key=True, nullable=False)
>     name = db.Column(db.String, nullable=False)
>
>     __mapper_args__ = {
>         'polymorphic_identity':ET_BRAND,
>     }

Im confused by this as well - are you saying that you map the same class to B,
C, and D rows?   That would be unusual.  It wouldn't work at all on the
persistence side as SQLAlchemy could not know which of B, C, or D you wish for
a particular BrandModel to be persisted towards.

> The problem is I need to reflect something more like this:

>           /   |   \
>         B   C   D
>                  /   \
>                E    F
>
> Where D is not only a polymorphic child of A but also the polymorphic parents
> of E & F.
>
> It seems like I have to choose, D can either be a polymorphic child or it can
> be a parent - it can't be both.
>
> Do I have any options here?

SQLAlchemy can represent inheritance hierarchies of any depth.    However,
because you are assigning a single subclass to all of B, C, and D that might be
why there's an issue here, you'd need to assign a distinct subclass of
BaseModel to at least "D", and then another subclass of D_Model to handle E and
F.

Preferably, you'd produce distinct classes for all six tables.