On Jun 12, 2013, at 8:46 PM, Andy <aml...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got really confused.  I have code that does
> ...join(schema.MappedClass.relation), and it works.  But I had other code
> that did foo = schema.MappedClass.relation, and it didn't work because
> 'relation' wasn't there.
>
> The fix is to call orm.configure_mappers(), which happens by magic at various
> points.  Perhaps mapped classes should have a __getattr__ that calls
> configure_mappers.

We can't,  because end-user configuration of mappers, relationship() and
column_property() makes great use of class-bound attributes as standalone
arguments as well as for composition of SQL constructs, all of which occurs as
mappers are being constructed so before configure_mappers() can be called
safely.