On Jun 14, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Kevin S <kevinrst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running into a problem while developing a flask application using
> flask-sqlalchemy. Now, I'm not even 100% sure my problem is sqlalchemy
> related, but I don't know how to debug this particular issue.
>
> To start, I have a sybase database that I want to see if I can build a report
> generating application for. The reports will all be custom SQL queries that
> are requested by our users, and they will be able to refresh throughout the
> day as they edit and clean up their data (we focus on a lot of data
> curation). We plan to do other things that merit the use of an ORM, and we
> have a lot of complex relationships. Anyway, that's why I'm first trying to
> get this to work in our flask + sqlalchemy stack. And it does work in fact.
>
> Now the problem is, my current application is not scalable, because any time
> I do a long query (say several seconds or more), flask will not accept any
> additional requests until that query finishes. (Note: I am running the
> application through cherrypy). I have tested various things to ensure that
> the application can handle multiple incoming requests. If I have it just loop
> through a big file, or even just sleep instead of doing a query, then I can
> bang away at it all I want from other browser windows, and it's fine.
>
> We also have a copy of our database that is in postgres (this is only for
> testing, and can't be a final solution, because it gets updated only once a
> week). So, I've found that if I hook the application up to the postgres
> version, I don't have this problem. I can initiate a long query in one
> browser tab, and any other page requests in subsequent windows come back
> fine. The problem is only when using Sybase. We have other applications that
> are not flask or sqlalchemy, and they don't seem to have this limitation. As
> far as I can tell, I've narrowed it down to as soon as it executes a query.
> The entire app will wait until that query finishes, not allowing any new
> connections. I have log statements in my request handlers, and even in my
> before_request method, and those will not print a thing until the moment that
> first query returns.
>
> Additional info: I am using Sybase 15 with the pysybase driver.
> I initiate the raw SQL queries like this:
>
> con = db.session.connection()
> results = con.execute(query)
>
> But I also see the same problem if I use object relationships via
> Object.query.all() or whatever.
>
> I don't expect anyone to specifically know about this sybase driver, but I'm
> wondering what more can I do to try to debug this? I'm mostly interested in
> figuring out where the limitation is coming from, i.e. is it the database,
> the driver, or the way I'm using the session. I can provide additional
> details if needed.

well it's not a pooling issue because you don't have the issue with Postgresql,
so its a Sybase driver issue.   you'd need to see if you can boil down this
same behavior to a single Python test script that uses the Sybase DBAPI
directly.

Though that might only manage to prove its the Sybase DBAPI, and im not sure
how much those drivers are being supported.   Have you tried a different DBAPI ?