On Jul 16, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Michael Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com>
> wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Amir Elaguizy <aelag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having this weird problem using the query caching recipes in which two
>>> instances of a model representing the same underlying dataset will both get
>>> into the session.
>>>
>>> I know this is happening because I put all of the models in a set() and
>>> there are two instances with the same underlying database row id.
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that the session itself would handle the case
>>> that an object coming from the query cache is already in the session,
>>> preventing duplication. Is this not the case?
>>
>> well you need to be using the merge() aspect of it, which will reconcile an
>> existing identity that's already in the session.  the recipe as written uses
>> merge_result() so will ensure this, yes.    This only deals with the
>> identity map though, if you have an object pending with a given identity,
>> its not in the identity map.   I'd advise against heavy usage of cached
>> queries overlapping with lots of pending objects within the same sets
>> because things can get very crazy.
>
> Because of all that crazyness, that I came to the realization that you
> can only cache detached instances, and you can never merge them into
> your session. If you do, you may end up with a concurrency mess, if
> two threads want to merge the same cached instance into a session.

a merge() creates a copy of the object.  So the model is, the object that is
actually *in* the cache remains detached.  but you always create an attached
copy of it to work with locally.  That object can then fire off loaders for
additional collections and relationships and such, and if you use the caching
recipe fully, those relationships themselves can be cached.  It's much more
efficient to store a cached version of an A associated via many to one to a B
which is many to one to a C as the A, B, C separately, rather than as a graph -
otherwise all the A's B's are recaching redundant B's C's, taking up lots more
space in the cache and over the network.

> To put a cached instance into a session, you must first copy it, then
> update. How to do that, is very application-specific, and I don't
> think it can be automated.

that's what merge(don't_load=True) does.     If your object has other aspects
to it that are outside of what's mapped, then there are event hooks you can use
to re-instantiate additional state.